Introduction to Optimum Design 3e describes an organized approach to engineering design optimization in a rigorous yet simplified manner. It illustrates various concepts and procedures with simple examples and demonstrates their applicability to engineering design problems. Formulation of a design problem as an optimization problem is emphasized and illustrated throughout the text. Excel and MATLAB® are featured as learning and teaching aids.
- Basic concepts of optimality conditions and numerical methods are described with simple and practical examples, making the material highly teachable and learnable
- Includes applications of optimization methods for structural, mechanical, aerospace, and industrial engineering problems
- Introduction to MATLAB Optimization Toolbox
- Practical design examples introduce students to the use of optimization methods early in the book
- New example problems throughout the text are enhanced with detailed illustrations
- Optimum design with Excel Solver has been expanded into a full chapter
- New chapter on several advanced optimum design topics serves the needs of instructors who teach more advanced courses